Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Adaptability

gecko on my window

inspiration from Ed Emberley's
Picture Pie: A Circle Drawing Book

another attempt to "organize"
homework supplies for the beginning of school

a refashioned circle scarf (cut from a t-shirt)
with running stitch embroidery

For the first half of 2011, I have only been posting one photo per day with a one word description.  You have probably seen 365 photo projects on other blogs, and I thought it would be a manageable way that I could keep my blog going (in a minimal way) without giving it up completely or taking an extended leave of absence.  While I remembered to take at least one photo each day most of the time, sometimes it was a chore and sometimes I fudged a little.  In the last couple of weeks, the process completely broke down.  Yesterday, I decided to let it die and go back to documenting, photographing, and writing.

With this school year, I have cut my "working at school" days back from 3 to 2.  I can already tell that having this extra day will ease some of the stress in the house when everyone is going in different directions. The extra day will also allow me to focus on some other projects-- and have a little more time again for this space. 

The photos above reveal a glimpse into my recent days: observing & thinking, planning, organizing, and a little stitching here and there.  I am already back at work, and the children start school on Friday.  Let the 2011-2012 school year begin! 

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Irene Latham said...

I've really enjoyed the unique perspective in your pictures this year. My brother also let go of the pic a day project when he started feeling lots of pressure (yes, fudging!) and it became counterproductive in terms of creativity. Hope your extra days this school year are everything you want them to be!

Sarah Campbell said...

I love the gecko and the circle scarf. I'll have to get the how-to from you.

Aldo said...

I am Professor in Material Science and I got very please by your picture of the Gecko in the window. I would like to ask your permission to use your picture in my talks (no print), if that is the case, I would like to include your name in the credits.

Julie Nolte Owen said...

Aldo, Yes you may use my photo of the gecko. Thanks for asking for permission. Julie