Saturday, October 17, 2009

Wolfsnail Capture


The children discovered the elusive wolfsnail today. It was climbing up the white, painted column in our outside foyer. We brought it inside, put it in one of our monarch caterpillar rescue containers, gathered a few hosta leaves (because Sarah's wolfsnails were on hostas in her book), and created a miniature, temporary habitat. My son gathered some garden snails for its food, but he doesn't want the snail to actually eat them. "They are so small and too cute," he claims. He's still feeling protective of the little snails.

I want to keep this wolfsnail long enough to share with my students at St. Therese and with classmates of my children at their respective schools. We found a wolfsnail in this same area back in the summer, but we let it go on its way, and it quickly did--it was no where to be found only minutes after turning our backs to observation. This front entryway to our house has also been a favorite spot for our house geckos and numerous mosquitoes at night.

I wonder how many wolfsnails live in our vegetation? I wonder what other creatures are out there that we haven't discovered yet?

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jen said...

Wow - I've never seen a wolfsnail in person. What an exciting discovery!

The Religious PĂ­caro said...

I've never *heard* of a wolfsnail before. Thanks for showing me something new!

Sarah Campbell said...

I am so glad you found a wolfsnail. I love hearing about actual sightings. I hope to visit soon.