Monday, February 1, 2010

Education Photography: Engagement




I have written before on this blog that I love taking photographs of education "happening" in my students, my children, or in other groups of people. As a teacher, it is sometimes difficult to find the time to photograph while also paying attention to all of the other matters to which teachers must attend. I have to train students not to stop what they are doing and put on that big, fake smile or make rabbit ears over their classmates' heads! I frequently remind them, "I want to photograph you doing what you are doing-- keep going." They are used to seeing my camera hang around my neck just as I carry around whatever book we are reading.

With the beginning of February, I'm starting a new feature to my blog-- a once a week round-up of the 1 or 2 or 3 best education photos from the past week. This week, I see "engagement" on the faces of these two students. Do you see it?

I may take 100 photos in a week, or I may take 20, but there are usually only a few that are really good. These few "good" photos per week become an amazing way of documenting and reflecting upon what has happened during a school year. I hope that this small practice of photography will encourage me to capture more and better instances of how and why we learn and teach.

If you have some education photos you would like to share, I would love to see them. Please post a comment if you are interested in starting a Flickr group with me.

1 comment:

Sarah Campbell said...

I love the photos of engaged students. That was what I loved about my early work at Davis. The capturing of students' learning. Of course, I may be biased about what the girl is doing. :)