Sunday, July 11, 2010

Intermediate

Call me Scarlett, please. I have made a skirt lined with an old curtain. It is a Barcelona skirt, to be exact, and the lining is a re-purposed, muslin curtain from days in the "Gin House" (our house in Tunica that was next to a cotton gin). The curtain was moved to 4 houses after the Gin House because I always knew that I would do something with it. I have more of these muslin curtains, and I have a feeling that I'll make another one of these skirts soon. I may also re-use these curtains in some quilts within the year. Stay tuned!

invisible zipper detail

lining detail

The skirt was a joy to make even though I ruined the first zipper attempt and had to make a run to the fabric store for another zipper. The hardest part about the invisible zipper was figuring out how to put the invisible zipper foot on my machine. I persevered, may have said a choice word or two, and learned how to put in an invisible zipper and a lining! Through making the other two garments shown with the skirt in the first and last photos, I have learned several new "intermediate" sewing skills including waist darts, facings, and pleats. The orange print dress is Built By Wendy's Simplicity 3835. The purple tunic/dress is Sew Liberated's Schoolhouse Tunic.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: