Sunday, February 1, 2009

Happy Birthday, Beth


My little sister turns a year older today. I made this block in honor of her-- as a mom and all of the wonderful things she does in her life. It is loosely based on a Theotokos (or Mother of God) and Matryoshka doll combined. And, the pocket for the baby sports a log-cabin square.

A strange fact, while I was block printing yesterday, I found out later that she and her daughter had been carving potato stamps to make a t-shirt for the first 100 days of school. How is that for a convergence in the universe? It also illustrates the kind of person she is. Always creative and willing to spend time with someone.

I'll bet our mother was looking down at us with the same smile on her face as the mother above.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rachel said...

i love this! great job!

Jen said...

Julie, she's beautiful! I love the image.

Sarah Campbell said...

OK, now I want to try. That's beautiful.

bridgmanpottery said...

Julie, I love this. I am so drawn to icons.