Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Monoprints, Maple Leaves, and Mundane Chores


I am so fortunate to work at St. Therese Catholic School. How many school librarians are able to co-teach with the art and music teachers every week? On Tuesdays, I assist Mrs. Misenar, the art teacher, with Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 6th grades. Yesterday, the upper grades learned about the artist Robert Motherwell and made monoprints using two pieces of wax paper, acrylics, and construction paper. Mrs. Misenar used this technique with fabric to decorate pillows for her sofa.


On Thursdays, I co-teach 3rd through 6th grades with Lynn Tarleton, the music teacher. Mrs. T., as the children call her, has always used literature in her music teaching, and I have always used music in my story-times. The two of us are quite a pair as we both love integrating other art areas into our disciplines and using our disciplines to integrate into core curriculum areas such as math, language arts, social studies, and science. Last week, we pulled out hand drums, maracas and castanets, and xylophones to teach a song about Cherokee Indians and to discuss the Cherokee culture and learn some Cherokee words. This week, we plan to use the computer lab to research the first pilgrims and Wampanoag Indians.

I didn't get home until late on Monday night, so the photo of the Japanese maple looked like this:


Today's leaves are wet with rain.

Now, onto some mundane chores like menu planning for the week, laundry, housework, etc. I have a goal to try to throw away or give away 40 things every day from now until I feel like some of the clutter is gone. So, my "40 things per day" challenge starts today. And I also want to do some sewing before the children come home from school. I'm working on a banner for the door and on some bird ornaments. Sometimes, I amaze myself at my naive ambition for the day!

No comments: