Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Book Project

Over the next few days (in between Thanksgiving cooking, visiting with my sister, brother-in-law, and adorable niece from Arkansas, and knitting or sewing) I will be creating an on-line "Who Am I" Book Exhibition. It will be cross-posted on both of my blogs because I did this project with my third through sixth grade students at St. Therese Catholic School. I have to figure out the best way to create it.

I've been thinking a lot about the "Who Am I" book project that I just completed. I was not prepared for the difficulty that some students had with just folding paper, measuring, and envisioning how it all fit together. When I talked with my principal and other teachers about this, we wondered together whether children today do not have enough opportunities to make things from scratch or whether they don't have many craft-like hobbies (beyond Foamie Kits from Michael's) because a lot of free time is spent at sports and/or technology pursuits. I'm sure that they have skills and talents far beyond mine in these areas, but I think some of these children may be forfeiting valuable experiences with problem solving and the creative process. It was obvious to me which students have opportunities at home to make things at the kitchen table. That said, some of the projects were amazing, and I can't wait to take a closer look at them all. I've got some more thinking to do about this. . .

I have been worried that the leaves on my tree might fall off before my company comes this afternoon. It could still happen during the day today, but I'm hopeful that we can all see the before and after process of the Japanese Maple in person. Just a few leaves have begun to decorate the brick sidewalk and grass. From two days ago:

Happy Thanksgiving Preparations!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

i love the books!!!!