Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sewing Together



Even while recovering from the dreaded "VBS Virus" during the last couple of days, I managed to finish a second, fun Simplicity 7229 skirt and two shopping bags (using the www.morsbags.com pattern) with a friend on two afternoons. The boys played, shrieked, and intermittently ran through our sewing space while my daughter sewed something of her own and occasionally needed help. The black cat pranced through the room chasing a rubber ball underneath the furniture.

It started to rain and storm just a little while we worked by lamps turned on for more light. The dog, nervous because of the thunder and rain, hung-out close to my feet. My friend worried about her own dog who is also afraid of thunderstorms. The calico cat came inside to escape the rain in the kitchen.

The fabric for my bags came from recycled curtains I had made for the house in West Point, MS. After toting these curtains around for several years and organizing it in valuable closet space, it will now help me tote around and organize other things. I like that.

I also like that I was able to share a new-found love of sewing and creating with a friend who seemed to find as much frustration, challenge, joy, and accomplishment in the craft as I. For two beginners finding our way through buttonholes, patterns, and sewing machine manuals, I think we did a great job.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: