Friday, December 4, 2009

Postcards from Hendrix




During my Thanksgiving holiday visit in Arkansas, my sister and I spent an afternoon walking around our Alma mater, Hendrix College. So much about the campus has changed-- new buildings in every corner, the labyrinth next to Trieschmann, and a garden in front of Martin Hall. So much was the same-- the fountains, the pecan grove, and the goldfish pond. The mixture of old and new works well together.

When I was in college, I couldn't imagine a day like this in which I would be walking around the campus as an older woman with two children and a niece. It felt a little like stepping into a time warp as the old memories blended together with the new. My daughter said that she might like to go to Hendrix for college, and that is now only 8 short years away. Can I imagine a day in the future when I help her unload her things into one of the dorms and say goodbye in the parking lot? At least her aunt and uncle would be nearby to keep an eye on her.

But who knows what the future holds? Twenty years ago, I had no clue about where I would be now, and I had no idea about college when I was my daughter's age. I'm sending myself this postcard to that future day when my daughter (and son) will be going somewhere to college, and I'll be left with many more memories, new things to learn, and new places to visit.

P.S. My sister took the photo of my children and me at the fountains. She has the same camera as I do, so we looked pretty silly during the holiday walking around everywhere together.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: