Monday, January 26, 2009

Tea



You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

-- C. S. Lewis

My daughter and I are in the middle of reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis. Lucy has agreed to be the ambassador between the invisible ugly people (or thumping things-- what are they, really?) and the Magician. Since we still have several more books to read together in the Narnia series, I don't yet feel like we have to ration the words each night. We read until we are too sleepy to continue-- or until "Mom knows best."

I had five cups of hot tea today. It takes me two cups of Assam Breakfast to be ready for the day each morning. Then, it was cold in the St. Therese basement library during work (3 more-- one herbal and two Darjeeling).

Now, before bed, I'll have my sixth cup of something herbal with the sweet, summery taste of Tilia (a holdover from my days in Portugal).

May you always have walls for the winds,
a roof for the rain,
tea beside the fire,
laughter to cheer you,
those you love near you,
and all your heart might desire.


-- Irish Blessing



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Angela said...

When/why were you in Portugal?

Julie Nolte Owen said...

After Hendrix, I did a year-long Watson Fellowship to study religious pilgrimage to apparitional sites of the Virgin Mary. I mostly lived in Lourdes, France, and Fatima, Portugal. I also spent several months in England, Scotland, and Ireland.

My favorite place was Portugal. The people were so friendly, and it is so beautiful. It was also the most foreign place-- looking different than Mississippi and Arkansas! I loved listening to the language even though I didn't speak it and couldn't understand everything. I would go back there in a heartbeat.