Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother Nature Day

This is the box turtle found in our yard yesterday. She had been caught in the fence around our new compost pile until my son rescued her, observed her for a while, and let her go. There were also tiny snails attached to some eggshells in our compost pile.

These are the slugs that my children watched and fed after googling what they eat. They also googled what box turtles eat. They put them in the bird bath for a temporary home. My daughter grabs the camera now to document events like this. She took all of these photos except the butterfly photo.

This is the earthworm-- as long as the biggest feet in the photo-- that we saw after releasing a monarch butterfly. The children were amazed. As my son says, "Awesome!"

This is one of our butterflies on our lantana that grows inches every day. We gave two "about to emerge" butterflies to friends, so that they could watch and release miracles where they live. One may have emerged yesterday, and we are hoping the other comes out today.

We spent the day gardening yesterday-- a variegated basil variety, some trailing flowers in hanging baskets, seeds for zinnias, sunflowers, cilantro, watermelon, and pumpkin. My blog and my life have taken a decided turn toward nature, wouldn't you say? The butterfly experience combined with gardening at school have taken over parts of my life and influenced what I'm doing at home, what I'm reading, what I teach, and the knitting projects that I'm plotting and planning. I am still knitting and dreaming about the next log cabin blanket I might start that features colors from monarch caterpillars on one side and colors from monarch butterflies on the other side. Inspiration is everywhere, and I'm always on the look-out for it.

Happy Mother's Day!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: